Friday, November 12, 2010

Indie,Folk,Rock and Alternative: Old Memories

When I started listening to Rock, one of my first bands were, Weezer. Its an old band, they started in 1994, but I heard them for the first time in 2000, the song was Island in the Sun. A nice peppy alternative-rock-punk sound coupled with nice lyrics , made it quiet memorable!


The Weezer song closest to my heart is "Perfect Situation"
It introduced me to the world of Punk-Rock, also, it is a perfect reflection of  the hopeless looser searching for that special someone. the lines:
"Tell me there's a logic out there.
Leading me to better prepare
For the day that something really special might come.
Tell me there's some hope for me.
I don't wanna be lonely
For the rest of my days on the earth"
and the lead guitar riffs that follow were simply awesome ,at the time.

Rivers Coumo did a song "Heart Songs". Its like a tribute to all the artists and songs that were a part of his life and which eventually inspired him to make a Rock band, its the story of his life. Its probably one of the most intimate songs i have ever heard. Check out the lyrics:
Gordon Lightfoot sang a song about a boat that sank in the lake at the break of the morning
A Cat named Stevens found a faith he could believe in
And Joan Baez, I never listened to too much jazz
But hippie songs could be heard in our pad
Eddie Rabbitt sang about how much he loved a rainy night
Abba, Devo, Benatar were there day John Lennon died
Grover Washington was happy on the day he topped the charts, these are the songs

These are my heart songs
They never feel wrong
And when I wake for goodness sake
These are the songs I keep singin'

Quiet Riot got me started with the bangin' on my head
Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Slayer taught me how to shred
I gotta admit though, sometimes I would listen to the radio
Debbie Gibson, tell me that you think we're all alone
Michael Jackson's in the mirror, I've gotta have faith if I wanna see clear
It takes two to make a thing go right, If the Fresh Prince starts a fight
Don't you worry for too long 'cause you know these are the songs

These are my heart songs
They never feel wrong
And I wake for goodness sake
These are the songs I keep singing

Back in 1991, I wasn't havin' any fun
'Till my roommate said "come on and put a brand new record on"
Had a baby on it, he was naked on it
Then I heard the chords that broke the chains I had upon me
Got together with my bros, in some rehearsal studios
Then we played our first rock show and watched the fan base start to grow.
We signed with David, gave us dough to make a record all our own
The song come on the radio, now people go: this is the song

These are my heart songs
They never feel wrong
And when I wake for goodness sake
These are the songs I keep singing

These are the songs I keep singing
These are the songs I keep singing
These are the songs I keep singing
These are the songs I keep singing
(Have fun, clicking on the links!)

This comment i read somewhere, depicts exactly what I too, feel about this song.
"Holy fuck this song resonates deeply with me. This is exactly how music should go. I'm in love with music. It's becoming my life as of late. The Nirvana reference is golden. Talking about a cd that finally pushed his liking of music into a love. Very powerful. A passing of the torch for musicians everywhere. I have to wonder if this is the end of Weezer though for that reason.
"These are my heart songs
They never feel wrong
And when I wake for goodness sake
These are the songs I keep singing"

I do this all the time. Go to bed with a song in my head and wake to listen to it more. Thank you for this gift Weezer. "



2 comments: